Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Concrete countertops

Ok so you do not want to have to give your first born for new counters..... try concrete!  We did this project about two years ago and I did not think I would be blogging about it so OF COURSE I do not have pictures but I can tell you if you take your time and build your forms right you should have no problems!
1) build form out of melamine board (shiny side against the concrete) the reason for this is that the melamine will "finish" the concrete so you don't have to.... it will give it a smooth finish.... that being said you have to build your counter upside down.    
2) use a latex silicon to seal all the corners.
3) mix concrete and pur it in to the mold..... then vibrate the forms to get all the air bubbles out, we used a small electric hand saw that vibrates and just held it right to the underneath and sides of the form
4) let it dry...... and say a few prayers :-)
here it is finished we made the sides also.

It was not terribly hard but not easy .......  I would encourage you to try it!!

1 comment:

  1. So you are a blogger now, huh?! I told you that you would get addicted:) Looking forward to reading!

    ReplyDelete